As previously mentioned this week, Minneapolis’ new RiverLake Greenway will be having a grand opening celebration this Saturday. The events planned look to be lots of fun, and provide a good chance to bring out the kids and have some family cycling fun. I will be hosting the children’s bike rodeo at Calvary Lutheran as a volunteer for the Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota, and there’s plenty more activities beyond the rodeos.
Here’s a rundown of planned events:
- Grand Opening Program – 1 p.m., Minnehaha Academy South Campus (4200 W. River Pkwy.), featuring the Sabanthanites Drum Corps, and an east-to-west bicycle ride for families.
- RiverLake Bike Walk Destinations – 1-5 p.m., destinations along the RiverLake Greenway hosting check-ins, where registrants may sign up to win Greenway grand opening prizes.
- Youth bicycle decorating, family bicycle parades, youth bike rodeos – 2-3 p.m. at Hiawatha School Park (4305 E. 42ndSt.); 2:30-3:30 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church (3901 Chicago Ave. S.); and 3 to 4 p.m. at Martin Luther King Park (4055 Nicollet Ave. S.)
- Sibley Park Celebration – (1900 E. 40th St.) 2-4 p.m., event concessions, rest area, and booths representing bicycle shops and bicycle/walking-related organizations
- Event Prize Drawing – (3900 Bryant Ave. S.) 4 p.m., a drawing and prize giveaway
There are several notable destinations nearby the boulevard, as well, including various places to acquire delicious food and drink.
Come out to check out the first bicycle boulevard in Minneapolis! If you stop by Calvary Lutheran between 2:30-3:30, be sure to say hi.